Friday, October 29, 2010

How can I restore my Compaq laptop to factory settings?

How can I restore my Compaq laptop to factory settings?
My computer has been acting really weird lately despite the fact that it's free of viruses. I've tried registry cleaning among a lot of other things with no luck. I figure the simplest option at this point would be to restore. By the way, when I got this laptop it came with Vista, but I upgraded to Windows 7. So if I restore it, will I lose Windows 7?
Other - Computers - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
try a system restore to a point before you started to have problems. That shouldn't affect your operating system. If that doesn't help, it may be best to do a clean install of W7. Back up your important files before you reinstall.
2 :
Tap F11 at startup for restore to factory settings. Yes, you will lose Windows 7. If you have Windows 7 disc, you can reinstall after the recovery. EDIT. Having said that it would be simpler just to reinstall Windows 7 if you have the disc, rather than doing a restore to factory. Just put your disc in the drive and choose install. If you use this method Windows 7 will save a Windows old folder to your C drive. I always delete this folder as it can take up a great deal of hard drive space. That`s - computer - C drive - program files - windows old - right click and delete. You`ll likely find that you already have this folder, as it will have been saved when you upgraded from Vista.

Read more discussions: