Thursday, July 7, 2011

How do I know which HP adapter is compatible with my Compaq laptop?

How do I know which HP adapter is compatible with my Compaq laptop?
The adapter that I currently have is no longer working because the cord ripped. What should I look for on the adapter (possibly a number for the parts) that came with my laptop? Is there a website that I could purchase it from?
Laptops & Notebooks - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Few options you have: 1) You can go to local repair shops to see if they will repair cords. A cord is a very minor repair. You can expect to pay $10-40. If no computer repair shops in your area, you might also check with a TV repair place. Can also check with tech-friends. If the converter is ok (the box), the cord is a very minor and inexpensive thing. If you want to call and ask around, ask them if they solder and repair power cords. 2) You can order it directly from HP. I would provide you with a direct link, but need the exact model of your Compaq/HP laptop (same company) However, here is a link to get you started: http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/default.asp?cc=US&lang=EN If the cord from the BOX to the WALL is damaged, this is ultra ultra cheap, if you can disconnect it. (many you can, and is a standard 2/3 plug connection) You can get it for $3-$5. Though, if cord from Box to laptop is damaged, best bet is #1. 3) Additionally, many third party companies create adapters for specific model laptops under the same specifications. (Cheaper than the OEMs, but same adapter) 4) There is also universal ones, but stay away from those. They can potentially cause damage to the laptop, but are considerably cheaper. (If you want exact links to exact items, post model and series of your hp/compaq and I'll edit if this answer not good enough. Can also post part number on adapter if you like, it likely has an HP part number on the label

Read more discussions: