Friday, January 8, 2010

Is there a way to use HP recovery on a different compaq laptop?

Is there a way to use HP recovery on a different compaq laptop?
My laptop recently died, and I'm trying to resuscitate it by reformatting. However, I lost the original compaq service pack CD 2. I have an HP pavilion, but the recovery system is in the hard drive. Can I put all the files on an external HD, then plug the external HD into my laptop and boot fromt here to reformat? If not, would it be possible to copy the windows file under program files to an external HD, then boot from that? As a last resort: if none of these are possible, can I at least borrow someone else's service Pack 2 CD (from Dell, not compaq) and use it to reformat? I tried to reformat with a win2K CD I found lying around, but my hardware is not compatible. Help, PLEASE!!!
Other - Computers - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
call the company and they will mail you the drivers and cds
2 :
No. It won't work. It will sense that the computer is different and refuse to load it.
3 :
to explain a little further, the bios on the computer is normally set at the factory defaults and will only recognize what was originally installed. that is why i build my own.

Read more discussions: